This one is a bit hard to write about because I got mad even though my gut knew exactly what the deal was…way before my brain was willing to admit it. Please don’t do too much psychoanalysis on me on this one…
Here goes. Remember The Traveler? He is featured in:
- An embarrassment of riches (aka too many cocks)
- Heart Rate Increased, Pupils dilated
- The Bad with the Good
I guess the benefit of writing a blog is that I KNOW FOR SURE that I knew what was going on…since in one post in September I wrote “On the extreme other side, perhaps he is some old fat guy using a hot guy’s photos…no intention to actually meet in person but instead is totally duplicitous. I suppose it’s possible.”
So…here’s what happened. The Traveler – who said his name was Steve (yes, for real. I have no compunction using his first name since a) it’s so common and b) I’m certain it’s not his real name anyway) would contact me every once in a while by text or on the online dating site. He said he was stuck in Washington due to the financial crisis and needed to try to preserve his contracts (he was a VP in a manufacturing type sales role). So that was the new reason for never being able to travel to my city (and there we go – we’ve ruled out Washington as my city!).
I had unsuccessfully gotten him to send me a photo of his face, or his body, except for on two occasions. The first photo was this one:
At the time I thought hmm…suspiciously high production quality. Even asked him about it. He said it was from August and his ex-girlfriend took it and she was a photographer. Uh, okay. And I got the same cock shot twice. Both times with the text “me jerking off to you”. Lovely. First time I believed him. The second time when he sent the exact same photo and oh yeah, it was nighttime and the light was streaming through the window, I called him on it (that can’t be right now, it’s daylight) and in classic Steve style, he suddenly had to go. At this point dear readers, not to worry, I completely knew that there was something wrong. But I’m a curious sort and was dying to know how far he would take it.
So fast forward to a long weekend away and a girlfriend tells me about a) the show called Catfish, and b) Google Image Search. How was it that nobody told me about this amazing thing from Google? So I get home and take that above photo and boom! up comes seancody.com and this lovely profile of this man, whose name is NOT Steve. It was even nice enough to include Steve’s profile bod shot from Yahoo Messenger. OMG did Steve know he was being impersonated? So here my friends is how far this guy would go to try to preserve our “relationship”. Here’s the short version of our text and email exchange:
- Me: Hey, is your real name Steve?
- Him: Yes
- Me: And is this photo really you? [I text him the photo above]
- Him: Yeah. Told you before, that’s me in August. My ex took it.
- Me: Then can you explain this? http… [I send him the link]
- Him: What’s that? I can’t get the page
- Me: Your profile photos on a website. Different name.
There’s a pause. Big shocker.
- Him: I used a buddy’s [online dating site] profile. I didn’t know I’d meet someone I liked so much.
- Me: Give me a break. Send me a real photo right now. [just to see…]
- Him: Sure, I will but gotta run right now am on a call be back to you.
- Him: I just yelled at my buddy I had no idea where those photos came from on his profile.
- Me: Steve, that photo was the one you sent to me saying it was you. And the other from your yahoo messenger profile is there too. They weren’t from the [dating site] profile. Do you think I’m a moron?
- Him: Didn’t we have a great connection? What happened to you in the past that got you this way?
Seriously? This is where I would have loved to have been having this conversation in person. This man is obviously…shit I don’t even know how to describe the personality that would make this situation about me and my response.
- Me: I feel sorry for you that you couldn’t be who you really are. Was everything you said a lie?
- Him: No baby. We had a connection. I will be your slave. I honestly am feeling ill right now and will be back to you and will make everything right.
That was the last I ever heard of him. He hasn’t been back on that dating site since that day.
I really do hope that my friend Steve will be the biggest liar I encounter. I did check out the show Catfish and boy, do people get seriously duped. It is a good lesson for me to know the lengths that some people will go to deceive…but a better lesson that my gut is right and as much as I like the pursuit…I should listen to my gut and move on when it tells me. I’d love to hear if anyone has any crazy experiences like this as well.